Looking for advice:
We had been requested by a potential client to provide them with our material cost-to-labor ratios. Our experience is that projects with hand assembly generally are 1/3 material to 2/3 labor and straightforward print runs are reversed. We are wondering what industry experience is as the feedback to us is that this is not the customer's experience. Comments?

Views: 746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good morning Shelley,
In my experience the old paper x 3 used to be the norm. Not anymore. It really depends on the project and the process. For printing sheetfed we still target 1/3 material and 2/3 labor but that is a constantly moving target depending on run length and any other value added labor you will contribute to the over all price.

Printing on a web may result in 60/40 split of material to labor or lower. Printing digitally might be 25/75 material to labor. As you can see it really does depend on the method of print and run length.

You didn't say what or how you are printing. You also didn't state what your potential customer's normal print method is. If they are used to buying with web pricing then the 1/3 - 2/3 number you mentioned wouldn't seem right to them.

I would counter to them that every project is different and there is no one standard.

You can post your print jobs and requirements at for FREE and also get free print quotes.

Please tell us what else would you like to see on a trading platform for printers?

BuySellPrint Team

I posted my job at on Alexander's recommendation. Alexander is a fellow junkie... And I got amazing response. I'm very happy and satisfied with my work. Got it done just the way I wanted it and within my budget. Thanks a whole bunch :)

I highly recommend to all print buyers and suppliers who are looking for print jobs.

Latest Activity

Paul Boncek is now a member of
Perf data is now a member of
Brian SanFillipo updated their profile
Sep 23
Eddie Brawner is now a member of
Sep 23
Trent Ferrington posted a discussion

Direct to Garment Tee shirt printing

Ferrland Press is a graphic design company and we have recently added a Direct to Garment printer. We offer full color, no minimum, fast, affordable tee shirt printing. Shirts must be mostly cotton, any color. Visit or for more information.See More
Sep 18
Royce Strahan posted discussions
Sep 10
Charlton Chap posted a discussion

Printing on Bakery Boxes and Packaging

Get custom printing on your bakery boxes from in food boxes you will find bakery boxes find the new range of exquisite designs in custom bakery packaging along with new discounted price range as well as up to 45% off on finalizing the order. Also you can get the free designing service, at really awesome quality printing of your boxes.…See More
Sep 10
Yellow Printing replied to Renee M. Berger's discussion Near field communications + Radio-frequency identification can you help?
"I'm working on offset printing service, we print different kinds of paper products, books, catalogs, paper bags, paper boxes, notebooks, nice to meet you guys here. Printing Supplier"
Sep 5
Profile IconYellow Printing and Charlton Chap joined
Aug 31
Profile IconThesigner, david , FRANK KWABENA and 1 more joined
Aug 24
Ed Kools updated their profile
Aug 5
Wally Barr replied to Renee M. Berger's discussion Near field communications + Radio-frequency identification can you help?
"Yes I am in Chicago. My number is 630-408 8348. Dont know my linked in address off hand but it is wally barr. I can also be reached RFID is used more for tracking and anti theft near field is used for experience and coupon…"
Jul 7

© 2015   Created by PSDA.

About Us  |  FAQs  |  Advertising  |  Contact Us  |  General Terms & Conditions  |  Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service